|Home | About | Tags & Categories | Archive | Links | Twitter | Flickr | YouTube|
the Set D sweet chestnuts
Set C(r) rowans transplanted. Six rowan tricots. Set D rowans planted. The fate of the Set D beeches and sweet chestnuts.
Posted on April 12, 2010 by Ash
The transplanted Set C(r) rowans (Sorbus aucuparia) yesterday, minus the tricots.
Yesterday was a busy day for treeblog…
The first five Upper Midhope rowan seedlings, U1 to U5, en route to the plug tray.
The plug tray as a bird would see it. May they live long and prosper.
The first five tricots, WT1 to WT5, en route to their plug tray.
A closer look at WT1…
…and WT2 and WT3 and WT4 and WT5. Marvellous.
The germinated Oaken Clough seedlings, freshly removed from the pretreatment plant pot and ready for planting.
F1: one germinating cut-leaved beech nut. Yes!!!
These three germinated beechnuts I planted in pots. The damaged beech will just shrivel and die; it has expended all of its energy on a root that is now not there. The cut-leaved beech trapped in the cupule will probably die from being unable to escape its prison. Now all of treeblog’s beech hopes and dreams rest on the shoulders of one cut-leaved beech. No pressure or anything.
Posted on October 11, 2009 by Ash
Three sweet chestnuts sitting in an opened cupule. The dead catkin that held the male flowers, still attached to the base of the cupule (which once was a female flower), can be seen in the background. [Photo: 8 Oct. ‘09]
Last Thursday (the 8th of October) I went on a tree mission to Wigtwizzle with my sister. Mission objective: to collect nuts from the massive sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) there for treeblog Set D.
The Wigtwizzle chestnut. Beast! [Photo: 7 Jul. ‘07]
While a lot of unripe cupules were stillon the tree, a great many ripe ones were lying open on the ground below. While trying to avoid a nettling, I managed to gather a haul of chestnuts with a total fresh weight of 75 g (2 ½ oz). Mission accomplished!
The Set D sweet chestnut haul. Third time lucky?
I collected nuts from the same tree in 2007 and 2008 for Set B and Set C respectively, but I didn’t manage to grow a single seedling. I now know the error of my bad old ways; I erred by waiting until spring before planting, by which time the chestnuts – which lose moisture rapidly and so are unsuited to storage – would have been well and truly dessicated. This time around, with only two days passing between collection and planting, treeblog might finally produce some baby sweet chestnuts.
I planted one hundred of the nuts yesterday in five forty-individual-pockets-to-a-tray seed trays using a special seeds and cuttings compost from B&Q. I ran out of room (and out of compost), so I had about sixty nuts left over. Until I decide what to do with them, I’ve mixed ‘em with some damp compost and popped ‘em in a plastic bag.
One of the seed trays showing forty chestnuts in forty ‘pockets’: a planting action shot.
The final product: five seed trays with one hundred sweet chestnuts carefully picked and planted. This is treeblog Set D(c) - the chestnut part of Set D. Set D(b) – the beech part – was planted on the 30th of September and the rowan seeds – Set D(r) – have just begun pretreatment and are on schedule for a springtime planting.
The 10th of October 2009 = Set D(c) Day 0.
|© A. Peace 2006 - 2016|